Monday, March 1, 2010

Materi Kelas VIII Smt 2

Recount Text
Recount text is a text that retell past events.
The tenses used in this text is Simple Past Tense.
Structure:
1. Orientation: its like an introduction about what will you tell, who is/are the characters, the time, and place
2. Events: consist of sequence of events happened at that time
3. Reorientation: almost like a conclusion of the story happened to the person.
Recount text is not only talk about the events happened to the writer, but also the biography of famous people.

Here are 2 different examples of Recount Text:



A Bad Sunday
It was a beautiful Sunday. As I am not an early bird by nature, I thought I would laze in bed for a while, but my mother told me to get up and not to laze the day away.

Reluctantly, I dragged myself out of bed, but only after my mother promised to have breakfast ready for me very soon. Still feeling groggy, I tripped over my sister’s doll and fell. I yelled out in pain and threw the doll through the door. My little sister was coming through the door at the same time, but managed to duck in the nick of time. However, the doll hit the passage wall and its head broke off. My sister then started to cry.

My mother came out of the kitchen and furiously reprimanded me for my bad temper. Feeling unhappy, I went to the bathroom to brush my teeth. While brushing my teeth, I was lamenting the unfortunate things that had happened when, all of a sudden, the toothbrush broke into two.
What a bad morning! I hope I will never have such a bad luck again.


Marie Curie
Marie Curie was a great scientist. She was born Marja Sklodowska in Warsaw, Poland, in November 7, 1867. Both of her parents were teachers. When Marie was only 11 years old, her mother died.

Marie was a very good student. She loved science, math, and languages. She and her sister, Bronya, wanted to go to collage. But in those days, only men could go to collage in Poland. The girls had to go to france if they wanted to study. There was not enough money for both sisters to go. So, Marie worked as a teacher in Poland from 1885 until 1890. She sent money to Bronya to pay for medical school in Paris. After Bronya became a doctor, she helped Marie.

When she was 24, Marie became a science student at the Sorbonne, a university in Paris. Even with her sister’s help, she did not have much money. She lived in a small room near the collage. It had no lights, no water and no heat. Sometimes, Marie only had bread and tea to eat.

Marie studied hard and graduated in 1894. A year later, she married Pierre Curie. He was also a scientist. They worked together for many years. Their most important discovery was radium. Today, doctors use the rays from radium to treat cancer. The Curies won a Nobel Prize in physics for their discovery in 1903.

When Marie Curie was 39, Piere died in road accident. But she continued their work. Curie became the first woman professor in France. In 1911, she won a Nobel Prize in chemistry. But years of working with radium ruined her health. She died of cancer in 1934. Her daughter, Irene contionued Curie’s work. She also received a Nobel Prize in 1935. Sadly, Irene also got cancer and died young. Both women gave their lives for their work.

No comments:

Post a Comment